Frequently asked questions.

Frequently asked questions.

Common questions we are asked, listed by category for your convenience.

If you are looking to become a HGV or bus driver, learn how to operate a lift truck effectively and safely or upgrade your license you’ll likely have a few questions. Check out our driver training FAQs to get your questions answered.

Can’t find the answer to your question? no problem get in touch and we’ll happily help.

Who is exempt from Driver CPC training?2024-01-30T15:42:00+00:00

In the UK, specific individuals and circumstances are exempt from the Driver CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence) training requirements. Exemptions from needing Driver CPC include situations where the vehicle is:

Used for Non-Commercial Purposes: This includes vehicles used for non-commercial carriage of passengers or goods, or for personal use.

Carrying Materials or Equipment for Work: If a driver is carrying material or equipment for their job, and driving constitutes less than 30% of their rolling monthly work time, they are exempt. This applies to cases like a mechanic driving a vehicle containing tools for roadside assistance, provided the driving is not their main activity.

Agricultural, Horticultural, Forestry, Farming, or Fishery Vehicles: Drivers working in these sectors are exempt if driving is less than 30% of their rolling monthly work.

Empty Vehicles within a Specific Radius of Base: If the vehicle is being driven within 62 miles (100 kilometres) of the driver’s base, is empty (except for permanently fixed equipment), and driving is not the main job of the individual, they are exempt.

Driving to or from Pre-Booked Vehicle Tests: This includes vehicles being driven to and from pre-booked appointments at official vehicle testing centres.

Road Testing for Repair, Maintenance, or Technical Development: Vehicles undergoing road tests for these purposes are exempt.

Vehicles Controlled by Emergency Services or the Armed Forces: Vehicles used or controlled by the armed forces, civil defence, fire service, and other similar services are exempt.

Vehicles with a Maximum Authorised Speed Not Exceeding 45 Kilometres (approximately 28 mph per Hour): Such vehicles are also exempt from the Driver CPC requirement.

What happens if I don’t complete my 35 hours of training?2024-01-30T12:37:31+00:00

If you don’t complete your required 35 hours of periodic training for the Driver CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence) in the UK, there are several significant consequences:

Invalid Driver CPC: Without completing the training, your Driver CPC becomes invalid. This means you cannot legally drive a lorry, bus, or coach professionally.

Legal Implications: Driving professionally without a valid Driver CPC is illegal. If caught, you could face legal action, including fines.

Employment Impact: Your employment could be at risk if you are unable to drive legally due to the lack of a valid Driver CPC.

No “Grace Period”: There is no grace period once your CPC expires. From the day after your CPC expires, you’re not legally allowed to drive a heavy goods vehicle or passenger-carrying vehicle professionally until you complete the training.

Completion of Overdue Training: To regain your Driver CPC, you will need to complete the full 35 hours of periodic training. In some cases, you may also need to pass the Driver CPC part 2 and part 4 tests again.

Additional Costs and Time: Delaying or failing to complete your training not only risks legal and employment issues but can also lead to additional costs and time spent arranging last-minute or expedited training sessions.

To avoid these consequences, it’s important to plan and complete your periodic training well within the five-year deadline. Regularly checking your training hours and planning ahead can help ensure that you remain compliant with the Driver CPC requirements.

Can I complete my Driver CPC training in one go?2024-01-30T12:27:20+00:00

Yes, you can complete your Driver CPC training in one go, but it’s important to consider a few key points. In the UK, the Driver CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence) requires professional lorry, bus, and coach drivers to complete 35 hours of periodic training every five years to maintain their qualification.

While it’s possible to complete all 35 hours of training in a single week, there are certain factors to keep in mind:

Intensity and Effectiveness: Cramming all the training into one week can be quite intense. Spreading the training over a longer period might be more effective for learning and retention.

Course Availability and Scheduling: You’ll need to find a training provider that offers the full 35 hours of training in a consecutive sequence, which might not always be feasible.

Validity Period: Regardless of when you complete your 35 hours within the five-year period, the training will only count towards your current five-year cycle.

Work and Personal Commitments: It’s essential to consider your work schedule and personal commitments. Taking a whole week for training might not be practical for everyone.

Avoiding the Last-Minute Rush: Many drivers tend to delay their training, leading to a rush in the months leading up to the CPC renewal deadline. Completing the training in one go can be a way to avoid this last-minute rush.

Ultimately, the choice of whether to complete your CPC training in one go or over several sessions depends on your personal preference, learning style, and schedule. However, spreading the training out is often recommended for better learning and retention.

How often should i check my Driver CPC hours?2024-01-30T12:35:24+00:00

It’s a good practice to check your Driver CPC hours regularly to ensure you’re on track with your training. While there’s no hard and fast rule for how often you should check, doing so every few months is a reasonable approach. This allows you to plan and complete your training well before your five-year deadline.

What is the timeline for the Driver CPC changes?2023-12-18T10:44:01+00:00

The specific timeline for the implementation of thechanges to the Driver CPC training has not been detailed as yet. For the most current and accurate information regarding when these changes will take effect, it is best to refer to the official government announcements

What are the new areas of focus in Driver CPC training?2023-12-18T10:34:40+00:00

The new areas of focus in Driver CPC training include a stronger emphasis on developing core course content and incorporating informal assessments. These changes are part of the UK government’s reforms to improve the quality and relevance of the training. The aim is to ensure that the training remains effective and reflective of the evolving needs and standards in professional driving.

Can I complete Driver CPC training online?2023-12-18T10:32:09+00:00

Yes, you can complete part of your Driver CPC training online. The UK government’s recent reforms include decoupling e-learning from trainer-led courses, which means that drivers now have the flexibility to complete certain components of their CPC training through online modules. This change is intended to make the training process more accessible and convenient for professional drivers. However, it’s important to check the specific requirements and approved course formats on the official government website or with accredited training providers to ensure compliance.

Has the Driver CPC course duration changed?2023-12-18T10:30:16+00:00

The course duration for Driver CPC training has been reduced as part of the UK government’s reforms. The minimum course length has been changed from 7 hours to 3.5 hours. This reduction in course duration is aimed at increasing flexibility for drivers undertaking the training, making it more convenient and less time-consuming while still maintaining the quality and effectiveness of the training.

What is the Driver CPC periodic test?2023-12-18T10:26:52+00:00

The Driver CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence) periodic test is a new proposed alternative to the current 35-hour training required for renewing the CPC qualification for professional drivers. This periodic test is intended to offer a more flexible and efficient option for drivers to maintain their CPC, with an emphasis on ensuring ongoing competence and safety standards in the professional driving industry. The details of the test format, content, and implementation are part of the UK government’s reforms to the Driver CPC regulations.

How to Practise for the HGV Theory Test2023-11-09T15:45:48+00:00

Practice is key to passing your HGV theory test. Utilise the official DVSA materials, including books, DVDs, and online resources.

Take practice tests to familiarise yourself with the format and types of questions you’ll encounter. We recommend that you use the website – www.drivingtheory4all.co.uk which will cost currently £18 for the practice material.

What Happens on the Day of the HGV Theory Test?2023-11-09T15:35:12+00:00

On the day of your test, arrive at least 15 minutes early at the test centre with your UK driving licence.

The test centre staff will guide you through the process. You’ll start often with the multiple-choice questions, followed by the hazard perception test. Remember to stay calm and focus on each question.

Is the HGV Theory test hard to pass?2023-11-09T15:31:42+00:00

The HGV theory test is challenging but not insurmountable. It consists of two parts: multiple-choice questions and hazard perception. You need to pass both parts to succeed and if you fail one part you only need to retake the part you failed.

The test is designed to assess your knowledge of the following topics:

  • Vehicle Weights and Dimensions
  • Drivers Hours and Rest Periods
  • Braking Systems
  • Driver Behaviour
  • Road Conditions
  • What do in an Accident
  • Vehicle Condition
  • Parking safely
  • Vehicle Loading
  • Observations
  • Legal Documents
  • Environment
  • Road and Traffic Signs
  • Other Road Users
How much does the HGV Theory test cost?2023-11-09T15:15:22+00:00

As of November 2023, the HGV theory test costs £26 for the multiple-choice questions part and £11 for the hazard perception part. For the latest prices check: https://www.gov.uk/book-theory-test

Where to Book HGV Theory Test2023-11-09T13:02:29+00:00

You can take your test at any DVSA Theory Test Centre across the UK. When booking, you’ll be able to choose the test centre closest to you or the most convenient location based on your preferences. Find your closest centre here: https://www.gov.uk/find-theory-test-centre

How to Book HGV Theory Test2023-11-09T12:56:57+00:00

Booking your HGV theory test is straightforward. You can book online at the official DVSA website – www.gov.uk/book-theory-test or by phone. To book, you’ll need:

  • A valid UK driving licence.
  • An email address to receive the booking confirmation.
  • A credit or debit card for payment.

Before you book, make sure you’re eligible to take the test. You must have the correct provisional licence, if you have not had your driver medical and applied to DVLA for provisional HGV get in touch with us to carry out this first, lastly you must be at least 18 years old.

Are you part of Tockwith Training Services?2023-10-12T16:43:12+01:00

All of our instructors worked previously at Tockwith Training Services in York (driving school with yellow trucks) and since the owners retired we have formed Wetherby Training.

Why choose in-person Driver CPC Training?2023-10-12T16:37:43+01:00

Drivers get better quality training, its more relevant and everyone can participate to get the most from the training sessions.

Minibus Category D explained2023-07-13T11:43:27+01:00

Category D1

You can drive vehicles with:

  • no more than 16 passenger seats
  • a maximum length of 8 metres
  • a trailer up to 750kg

Category D1E

  • You can drive D1 category vehicles with a trailer over 750kg maximum authorised mass (MAM).
  • The combined MAM of both cannot exceed 12,000kg.

Category D (Buses and Coaches)

  • You can drive any bus with more than 8 passenger seats with a trailer up to 750kg maximum authorised mass (MAM).

Category DE

You can drive D category vehicles with a trailer over 750kg.

Do I need training to drive a minibus?2023-07-13T11:20:38+01:00

Drivers of minibuses having 9 to 16 passenger seats will need to hold a PCV licence category D1 or a category D licence to drive larger buses.

What is a D1E Licence?2023-07-13T11:18:46+01:00

The minibus PCV Category D1+E training courses are aimed at those people who already have their Category D1 Minibus Licence, but would like to drive a minibus and tow a trailer over 750kg. The combined MAM of both however cannot exceed 12,000kg.

Can You Tow a Trailer with a D1 Licence?2023-07-13T12:29:52+01:00

Yes, but only a small trailer; with a D1 licence you are allowed to tow a trailer as long as the total weight of the vehicle and trailer does not exceed 750kg maximum authorised mass (MAM). This will usually be an un-braked single axle trailer.

What is D1 minibus training?2023-07-13T12:37:54+01:00

D1 minibus training is a type of driver training that allows individuals to obtain a D1 category on their driving license, which permits them to drive minibuses. This training typically includes both theoretical and practical components, covering topics such as vehicle safety, passenger management, and driving techniques specific to minibuses.

What does PCV mean?2023-07-13T11:44:25+01:00

PCV stands for Passenger Carrying Vehicle. It refers to a type of vehicle that is designed and used for transporting passengers, such as buses, coaches, and minibuses. If you would wish to drive a PCV you need a category D or D1 licence.

What is a D1 licence?2023-07-13T11:00:39+01:00

A D1 license is a type of driving license that allows the holder to drive a minibus or bus with a maximum of 16 passenger seats. It is required for individuals who want to drive a minibus or bus for hire or reward, such as for public transportation or as part of a business.

What is a DVSA Approved Delegated Test Site?2023-07-13T10:58:03+01:00

A DVSA Approved Delegated Test Site (ADTS) is a location where driving tests can be conducted by private companies that have been approved by the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA). These private companies must meet certain standards and requirements set by the DVSA in order to be approved as an ADTS. This allows for more flexibility and availability in scheduling driving tests, as well as potentially reducing wait times for test appointments.

What is a DVSA Approved Delegated Test Site?2023-04-20T16:46:16+01:00

A DVSA Approved Delegated Test Site (ADTS) is a location where driving tests can be conducted by private companies that have been approved by the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA). These private companies must meet certain standards and requirements set by the DVSA in order to be approved as an ADTS. This allows for more flexibility and availability in scheduling driving tests, as well as potentially reducing wait times for test appointments.

What is a Class 1 license?2023-04-20T16:38:24+01:00

A Class 1 HGV driver is able to drive Category C+E vehicles – an articulated lorry weighing 7.5 tonnes or more with detachable cabs and trailers which can generally carry loads of up to 44 tonnes.

Understanding Rigid Body Vehicles2023-04-20T16:34:30+01:00

A rigid body vehicle is a type of vehicle that maintains its shape and size even when subjected to external forces. This means that the vehicle’s body does not deform or change shape when it encounters bumps or obstacles on the road. Rigid body vehicles are commonly used in off-road vehicles, military vehicles, and heavy-duty trucks.

What is a Class 2 license?2023-04-20T16:32:58+01:00

A Class 2 driving licence allows you to drive a Category C rigid body vehicle. Category C vehicles or rigid body vehicles are vehicles where the cab and the trailer are fixed securely to each other. Having a Category C licence, allows you drive rigid vehicles over 3500kg and tow a trailer up to 750kg. If you want to drive an articulated lorry you will need a Class 1 HGV licence.

Do HGV Drivers need to be healthy?2023-04-13T10:56:15+01:00

Yes, it is important for HGV drivers to maintain good health and fitness. The nature of their job requires long hours of sitting and driving, which can lead to health issues such as obesity, back pain, and cardiovascular disease. It is important for HGV drivers to prioritise their health through regular exercise, healthy eating habits, and regular check-ups with their doctor and meet legal requirements with a D4 medical exam.

How often does a HGV Driver need to have a medical exam?2023-04-13T10:51:05+01:00

HGV Drivers need to undergo a HGV medical every 5 years. If you are under 45, your HGV medical will last until your 45th birthday, after this you will need to pass the HGV medical assessment every 5 years until the age of 65. After 65, you will need to pass the HGV medical assessment annually.

Do You Need a D4 Medical Exam for Your UK License?2023-04-13T10:46:42+01:00

If you are applying for a UK commercial driver’s license or renewing an existing one, you will need to undergo a D4 medical exam. This exam is required to ensure that you are physically and mentally fit to operate a commercial vehicle. If you are not applying for a commercial license, you do not need a D4 medical exam.

What is a D4 Medical Form?2023-04-13T10:45:03+01:00

A D4 medical form is a medical examination report that is required for certain professions, such as commercial drivers, taxi drivers, and seafarers. It is used to assess the applicant’s fitness to work and drive safely. The form must be completed by a registered medical practitioner.

Who are NORS?2023-04-13T10:34:14+01:00

The National Operator Registration Scheme (NORS) is the centralised validation, registration and certification scheme for all Road Transport Industry Training Board accredited training. Amongst other benefits, this helps create credibility and trust with customers and regulatory agencies.

What’s included in the Module 4 CPC test?2023-04-12T11:18:51+01:00

The CPC Module 4 test covers five areas: vehicle safety questions, practical driving ability, off-road exercises, loading vehicles, and securing loads. Each area is designed to test your knowledge and skills as a professional driver.

Can you fail the Module 4 CPC test?2023-04-12T11:12:58+01:00

Yes, it is possible to fail the Module 4 CPC test. The test consists of a practical demonstration of your ability to perform certain tasks related to the operation of a commercial vehicle. If you do not demonstrate the required level of competence, you may fail the test and be required to retake it. However, with proper preparation and practice, most people are able to pass the test on their first attempt.

What is a Load Demonstration Securing Trolley?2023-04-12T11:08:37+01:00

A Load Demonstration Securing Trolley is a device designed for demonstrating the most effective and secure way to handle heavy loads. It consists of two wheeled trolleys that are connected with a tensioning strap, allowing it to carry and secure large items such as furniture or appliances while being transported or stored. The trolleys also feature safety features such as spring-loaded brakes and adjustable straps to ensure the items are securely attached.

When does a DQC card expire?2023-04-11T15:43:48+01:00

Once you receive your DQC card you will have 5 years before it expires. To keep your card up to date you will need to complete 35 hours (5 days) of classroom training within that 5 years.

What is a DQC card and how do I get one?2023-04-11T15:40:49+01:00

A DQC card or ‘Driver Qualification Card’ must carried while driving a lorry, bus or coach professionally.  You’ll get this card when you have completed your Driver Certificate of Professional Competence ( CPC ) module 4 training.

What is ‘Hire and reward’?2023-04-11T15:33:43+01:00

‘Hire and reward’ is the legal term for payment for providing transport. It’s a legal requirement for drivers who carry other peoples goods or passengers in return for payment.

What does RTITB accreditation mean?2023-04-11T12:21:28+01:00

The RTITB monitor and assess training standards within the lift truck industry and accredit training organisations that are able to meet their high training specifications. When organisations undertake practical training from an RTITB registered trainer, they can be assured that they are meeting specific objectives and are being independently monitored.

Who are RTITB?2023-04-11T12:19:37+01:00

The Road Transport Industry Training Board (RTITB) are the leading body in workplace transport training accreditations. The help business grow and set standards by making measurable improvements to training standards, including efficiency in the workplace,  reducing risk and  increasing safety.

How long is a HGV Driver Assessment?2023-04-11T12:10:30+01:00

HGV Driver Assessments are a quick and easy way to understand your skills and ability and take just 60 minutes.


Are Driver Assessments a legal requirement?2023-04-11T11:58:48+01:00

Driving Assessments are not a legal requirement, they simply help drivers understand competencies and refresh their knowledge on best practice. For more information on legal requirements, see Driver CPC Training.


What are the benefits of Driver Assessments?2023-04-11T11:55:14+01:00

Driving Assessments reviews driving, knowledge and attitudes and can help identify competencies and outline areas for improvement. Further corrective coaching can then be given if required to improve skills and help reduce risk of accidents.

Is a Driver Assessment the same as a driving Test?2023-04-11T11:48:42+01:00

A driving assessment is different from a driving test. It is designed to review your driving, knowledge and attitudes. After completion, you’ll be given an honest opinion of your skills and ability.

Which forklift truck is right for me?2023-05-18T11:54:11+01:00

The first step is to know which forklift truck you need an operator licence to operate. There are manydifferent types of lift trucks and one training course will not cover drivers to operate all machines. The most common forklift truck used in warehouses is the Counterbalance forklift truck.

What happens if my driver CPC expires?2023-03-10T11:03:01+00:00

You cannot drive professionally until you have completed your Driver CPC training and maintained the requirement of 35 hours of periodic training every 5 years. You can be fined up to £1,000 for driving professionally without a valid Driver CPC qualification.

Is Driver CPC Training a legal requirement?2023-03-10T10:57:47+00:00

If you drive a bus, coach or lorry as the main part of your job, you must do 35 hours of periodic training every 5 years to keep your qualification. You can be fined up to £1,000 for driving professionally without Driver CPC qualification.

What is Driver CPC Training?2023-03-10T10:55:28+00:00

Driver Certificate of Professional Competence qualification (Driver CPC) is a professional qualification for bus, coach and lorry drivers. The qualification is was introduced across the EU in 2008 with the aim of improving road safety and maintaining the high standards of professional driving.

How long is a forklift truck operator course?2023-05-18T11:52:23+01:00

Examples of the durations for Forklift truck operator courses are; Five days for a novice operator course, three days for existing operator course, and normally a one day course for both refresher and conversion courses. ‘In‐house’ licences are designed around customer requirements and normally consist of just one or two days training, ask for further details if required.

Should I choose RTITB Accredited forklift training or ‘In-house’ forklift training?2023-05-18T12:04:19+01:00

There are no laws stating you must choose accredited forklift training, however the major benefit to an employer is that they will have little difficulty proving the driver was ‘adequately trained in accordance with HSE L117 guidance, after perhaps an incident involving a forklift.

The benefit to an individual with an accredited forklift training ‘licence’ is that they will find it much easier to use their training record/licence on different sites and with different employers, who would find it impossible to check the quality of an ‘in-house’ licence. The advantage of a non-accredited licence is normally a lower price and shorter course duration, as it allows the instructor to customise the training to the benefit of the customer. We can offer both accredited and non-accredited but would always recommend operators gain an accredited licence where possible.

Selecting the best forklift truck course2023-05-18T12:27:56+01:00

Generally there are four different forklift course types, all with different durations based on driver experience and the number of drivers on each course. The course types are:

  • Novice Operators, designed for a complete novice that has never driven a forklift.
  • Existing Operators, this course is for normal and competent drivers that are untrained.
  • Refresher Course, for forklift drivers who have either a recognised or ‘in‐house’ licence.
  • Conversion Course, forklift drivers with a ‘licence’ for one machine can be trained on another machine.
Is forklift training performed onsite?2023-05-18T12:29:17+01:00

We can deliver forklift training either on customer premises or at our purpose built site in York, North Yorkshire. At our site we have various different loads to lift, from simple 4-way pallets to metal corner post stillages.

Do I need a license to operate a forklift truck?2023-05-18T12:06:14+01:00

Technically speaking there is no such thing as a ‘licence’ to operate a lift truck. However Health and Safety Regulations set out in the publication Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations (PUWER) as published by the HSE, regulation 9 states that individuals need to undergo adequate training for health and safety purposes, it further expands on how this can be delivered. So you may not need a ‘licence’ but you do need to receive training.

What is the CE Category?2023-03-17T10:59:21+00:00

This category covers goods vehicles towing trailers – these are the largest trucks you see on the UK roads, also know as artics or Class 1. The most common vehicles in this category are any large articulated or drawbar trucks – seen frequently on motorways and busy ‘A’ roads.

What is the process to get an LGV CE (Class 1) License?2023-04-25T08:45:27+01:00

1. You only need to hold a Car Driving Licence and have passed your Medical and Theory – we can help/book with these, (not needed if you have passed your driving test in a Class 2 or LGV C1).
2. Attend the Driver Training Sessions and Pass the Driving Test!

Go to Top